Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Tony Farinella Review - “It’s a shocker, by god!”

I have a Tony Farinella story for you. He's also known as the "Bachelor Critic" and he writes for "The Comic Book Bin," among others.

I'm just not sure if I should share this story with you. I don't want to get Tony mad at me. It's the kind of story I can only share, if you promise to read this all the way through. Can you do that? All right, as long as you promise.

Keep on reading. Here is the story, a year ago I contacted Tony for a review of my short film, "Shoot-Out". His interest was piqued by my attention-grabbing query letter. (Shoot-Out has received amazing press) After reading my email he asked that I mail him a copy, which I did. His life swept him away as did mine. I never touched base with him again to follow through on the review. Needless to say, he never reviewed the film.

Remember your promise? This is the part of the story you do not want to miss. It wasn't until I started contacting critics to review my latest film, "Honey, I'm Home" that I came across Tony's name again. Maybe he did review "Shoot-Out" and I just wasn't aware of it. So I started doing some research. I couldn't find his review anywhere. Should I really bother to send him a copy of "Honey, I'm Home" I asked myself?

He deserved another chance, didn't he? I decided to go for it and contacted him to see if he would be interested in reviewing "Honey, I'm Home." Once again, my query letter grabbed his attention. He said he would certainly be interested. I planned to send him a copy, knowing that this time I would follow through with him. I even asked him if he ever reviewed "Shoot-Out." This is where it really gets good. Now you will find out why I am sharing this story with you.

Tony could have been defensive or he could have weaseled himself out of the situation. He didn't do that. He instead admitted that he had received the film, yet with his schedule and life being life, never got around to watching it. (Tony, it's still not too late to watch it) He took the honest approach.

Now I was glad that I had decided to contact Tony again. If he will be honest about not watching "Shoot-Out" and not trying to duck out of it, then I knew he was going to give his honest thoughts and feedback on any film he reviews. I just had to make sure that he would review "Honey, I'm Home."

Know what makes this story even better? I didn't need to follow through with Tony at all. He reviewed the film before I had a chance to contact him. Not only that, but we have been rewarded with an honest and awesome review.

Here is Tony's full review - "In today's cliched Hollywood world, it's refreshing to see creative writing on the Independent level"

No comments: